Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Save Water By Cooking Pasta In A Frying Pan - Meatless Monday Recipe

World Water Day + Meatless Monday


Sunday was World Water Day and I try to go Meatless most Mondays. So I decided to combine the two of these events into a recipe.


Recently I saw this video about how much less water you can use by cooking pasta in a frying pan.


I tried it myself, and while I don't think it saved much time it did save a lot of water!  I have made a time lapse video of how easy it is to do. It is a 30 second video but the actual cooking time was approximately 30 minutes of cooking time.


Pasta With Carrot Ribbons Recipe

Ingredients
  • Spaghetti Pasta
  • 4 Cups Of Cold Water
  • 2 Carrots
  • Alfredo Pasta Sauce
  • 2 frying pans
Start by pouring 4-5 cups of cold water into the frying pan, I went with 4 cups but you may need 5 if you are cooking a lot of pasta (think of how many cups of water you would normally put in your pasta pot and how much water you are saving).

It took my small handful of spaghetti a snaped it in half so that it fit the frying pan well.  Spread the pasta across the frying pan and then turn your stove on high.  Let cook for 15 minutes on high without stirring.

While the pasta was cooking peel two carrots, then cut them lengthwise.  Then use the peeler once more to cut the carrots into "ribbons"

At the 15 minute mark stir the pasta. Then you can see that a lot of the water had been absorbed by the pasta.  Let the past continue cooking, stirring as needed.  Take a few tablespoons of the pasta water from the first frying pan and added it to the second frying pan add the carrot ribbons and cook on high stirring constantly until the carrots start to soften.  Then add the pasta and remaing water (although you should have hardly any water left at this point) from the first frying pan and add it to the second frying pan with the softened carrots.  Add your alfredo sauce. I'm not at the level of making my own alfredo sauce yet so I just used a couple of scoops of Our Compliments Garlic Alfredo sauce because that was what I had in the fridge.  Stir it all up in the pan and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...